North Dakota seeks to advance new discoveries of bio-based, sustainable materials that give more consideration to the environment and contribute to its economy through their sourcing (low cost, renewable), durable lifetimes (long, high durability), and recyclability (efficient, high value). An EPSCoR award from the National Science Foundation includes funding for the Center for Sustainable Materials Science to pursue this research.
The Center for Sustainable Materials Science research team includes researchers from the following North Dakota educational institutions:
- North Dakota State University in Fargo
- University of North Dakota in Grand Forks
- Cankdeska Cikana Community College in Fort Totten
- Mayville State University in Mayville
- Minot State University in Minot
- Sitting Bull College in Fort Yates
In addition to the center’s research on bio-based, sustainable materials, the center will also help to facilitate education, workforce development, and outreach on the importance of sustainable materials.