CSMS Faculty Outreach
The current ND EPSCoR Track-1 grant includes Education and Workforce Development (EWD) goals. One of the objectives under this focus area is to Build capacity for interdisciplinary research state-wide, initiate collaboration with partner institutions (TCs and PUIs) and sustain research collaborations with TC/PUIs, and one of the activities for this objective involves creating an Outreach Portfolio containing project ideas that would strengthen collaborations with our TC (Tribal College) and PUI (Primarily Undergraduate Institution) affiliates.
OUTREACH PORTFOLIO IDEAS:
- Become involved in the ND EPSCoR NATURE Sunday Academy program by helping with NATURE program lesson development in July
- Become involved in the ND EPSCoR NATURE Sunday Academy program by teaching a CSMS-related lesson to Native American students participating in the program
- Become involved in the ND ESPCoR NATURE University Summer Camp program by giving a lab tour during the 1st week of camp with the expectation that if they are picked to be a research lab mentor, they would mentor the student/s in CSMS-related research during the 2nd week of camp.
- Provide CSMS-related research lab training in the summer to TC or PUI students who want to travel to NDSU or UND to learn more about research and receive training on research-related equipment.
- Help to develop a CSMS-related lesson plan for the EWD K-12 Outreach initiative that provides lesson plans to K-12 teachers.
- Become involved in the ND EPSCoR Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU) program by working with a student from a TC or PUI on CSMS-related research.
CSMS Student/Postdoc Outreach
The topics that CSMS research will address includes new sustainable materials that can contribute to ND economy, their sources (low cost, renewable), lifetimes (long, high durability) and recyclability (efficient, high value). The main overall themes of CSMS research includes materials science and engineering, and biomass.
One of the elements of the Track-1 grant’s Communication Plan for disseminating information on CSMS research is Science Outreach.
CSMS Graduate and Postdoctoral researchers will participate in at least one outreach activity per funded semester and complete an outreach assessment form after each outreach activity.
K-12 and public outreach you conduct must be about CSMS-related research. Outreach you participate in does not need to be CSMS-related (ex: assist with the BEST Robotics competition). Outreach presentations/demonstrations done in person with K-12 or the public are preferable to outreach with college audiences (such as speaking to a group on campus or putting up a display or posters) or online outreach (such as a webinet).
The purpose of Science Outreach is to provide professional development (PD) opportunities for graduate students and Postdoctoral researchers involved in the CSMS research group to communicate information about their CSMS research to a broad, diverse audience.
Instructions for CSMS Graduate Students and Postdoctoral researchers:
- First get permission from the host or other person in charge that you can do your presentation/demonstration
- Get approval from Dr. Du, guodong.du@UND.edu, before your Outreach is done, even if it is on this list – let him know the name of the event and what you will be doing during the event
- Complete and turn in to Kathy Wahlberg, firstname.lastname@example.org, a completed Outreach Assessment form after the event.
It is suggested that you bring the Outreach Assessment form with you to the activity so you can collect relevant information at that time.
NOTE: If you take pictures of the event, the recognizable participants pictured in the photo must sign a photo release form – if the participant is less than 18 years of age, the form must also be signed by their parent
- Turn in the completed Outreach Assessment form to Kathy Wahlberg via a) in person at Research I, Rm 242, b) email to email@example.com, or c) interdepartmental campus mail to Kathy/ND EPSCoR at Research I.
Do you have new ideas to add to the list? Send them to Dr. Du to review and he will have them added if acceptable.
NOTE: In addition to CSMS Outreach, you can also participate in general STEM Outreach even if it is not CSMS related as a varied experience with Outreach will help improve your skills on conducting education and Outreach projects. If you participate in general STEM Outreach, please complete the Outreach Assessment Form as you would for CSMS Outreach.
Below are links for the Outreach ideas lists (CSMS related and non-CSMS related), the Outreach Assessment form, and the photo release form.
CSMS Student Outreach Portfolio idea list (updated July 2017)
Options for non-CSMS Related Outreach Participation
Outreach Assessment Form (Revised October 2016)
Photo release form (ND EPSCoR logo updated May 2017)*
*Fillable version of ND EPSCoR Photo Release Form
NOTE: the two photo release form versions above are for the SUBJECT in the photo
NSF photo release form (for the PHOTO TAKER to complete/sign to allow their photo to be used)
Contact Dr. Guodong Du, CSMS Outreach Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.